Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Basketball. Basketball. Basketball. Thank God.

They say that time makes the heart grow fonder- or something like that. Indeed, it has been a long time since I have posted on the blog. It's safe to say that a lot has happened. Let's get to it....

Kentucky goes to the Final Four
No one could seriously have predicted this outcome. Sure last years team was a good pick and next years team is all but a shoe in. The 2010-2011 squad was certainly not final four caliber. Forget about it. The Cats put together an impressive postseason romp through the SEC Tournament that carried over all the way to Houston. The wins against Ohio State and UNC were impressive. I think that the Newark bracket sweet 16 and elite 8 games were more entertaining and challenging than final four. The Cats of course came up short against a UConn team that walloped them in Maui back in November. All in all, it was a great ride for the Cats. JORTS!

Jorts is joined in the draft by Knight and Liggins
Josh Harrellson enters the draft as the only senior on the team. Joining him are freshman PG Brandon Knight and junior swingman Deandre Liggins. Jorts is an interesting pro prospect. He probably won't get picked in the draft. He will more than likely be allocated to the free agency market and take his chances with the summer workouts. Knight will most certainly be a top 5 if not top 10 pick. The wildcard is Liggins. I like Liggins, but he NEVER struck me as a pro prospect. He has an upside- his defense. However he only really has one year of work. The argument could be made that Knight only has one year of work too. The difference is that Knight has talent. Liggins has talent too, but he doesn't have "it". Liggins will probably be taken in the late second round or left to test the free agent market. Either way, he will be making money pro somewhere in the world.
I know I just defended Knight in comparison to Liggins. The truth is, I am not convinced that Knight will be "explosive" in the NBA. Don't get me wrong, I think he will do just fine in the league. Kentucky fans should not get delusional and think that this is going to be the second coming of John Wall.

The NBA Playoffs
I have always been a huge fan of the playoffs. This year is different. This is the first season that I have followed wire to wire. I've become addicted. Thanks to my Chicago girlfriend, I have adopted the Bulls as my "team". I wish I wouldn't have been corrupted by her because I have also developed a crush on Indiana. We were able to go watch the Bulls play the Pacers in Indy. If you have never been to an NBA game, you need to go. It was my first NBA game and I absolutely loved it. This years NBA Playoffs has been exciting to watch because of all the "other" teams stepping up.
Dallas has had a crazy post season run that includes a beatdown of the Lakers. Memphis went from being winless into the playoffs to being tied 2-2 and 2 games away from going to the west finals. Oklahoma City is on a mission after being bounced by LA last season. Rondo dislocated his elbow and came back to try and take down the mighty Heat. Then there is the Bulls. The Bulls Pacers series was nerve-wracking and exciting to watch. The fun continued as the tenacious Hawks pestered the Bulls into a game 6 tomorrow night. A lot of great storylines to follow which makes me think- who needs football? NFL that is....



1 comment:

  1. you have a crush on Indy? I thought you hated Tyler Hansbrough! ;)

    ReplyDelete