Thursday, June 23, 2011

Golf and That Hot Chick From Gilmore Girls


DISCLAIMER: I know absolutely nothing about golf.


If someone had asked me who Rory McIlroy was at the start of 2011 I probably would have responded by saying that "she" was the really hot lead character of that WB show that my girlfriend likes to watch on Netflix. Of course we all know now that Rory is not that really hot chick from Gilmore Girls. Not even close. The Rory that the world has gotten to know over the course of 2011 is one of pain and triumph, pale and freckled skin, and of course the most Irish of features- his crazy red hair. Rory first appeared on my radar during the 2011 Masters in which he carried out one of the greatest collapses in golf history (or so I am told). I was impressed by the 21 year old Northern Irish kid for going to Augusta and playing with the stars of the game. Two months later Rory appeared at Congressional to compete in the US Open, the second of the four Majors. What transpired over the weekend was amazing.

Don't ask me how many birdies, eagles, and (seriously?) Albatrosses he had. Don't ask me how many strokes under or over par he was- what the hell is par? I have no idea. One thing is very clear- Rory has made me want to learn. I was too young to understand what Tiger Woods arrival on tour did for the sport. I have grown up in the Tiger era and can name very few other players on tour. Thanks to his age and his off the course problems, Tiger is no longer the player he once was. Golf is a sport that needs new blood to keep it going.

Rory represents my chance to get into the sport that has captivated the Polo wearing crowd for generations- not that I don't enjoy wearing a comfy polo from time to time. One championship can easily become 14 when given the proper amount of time. More importantly, if I am noticing Rory and the sport of golf, so too must other people right? Golf needs a star to thrive- look at the ratings for most of the Majors when Tiger wasn't playing... Rory can be that star, and more importantly he has the game to back it up (here's looking at you Anna Kournikova, Danica Patrick, and Elisha Justice). Again, I know nothing about golf, but I can spot an opportunity to jump on board a great bandwagon.

Besides, the next major is the British Open... I'm in.




No comments:

Post a Comment